Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Reading List


This summer I will be reading several books, some because I want to , others because I need to for my job.
1-Shepherding a Child's Heart----finishing, digesting and going back to answer the questions at the end of every chapter.
2-The Odyssey----sadly I don't think I ever read this in school, at least not the whole thing. As a classical school, we are all starting to read through the classical books that are at the core of our curriculum.
3. Piety and Philosophy- Another book on classical thinking and education----it will expand on what I read last summer in Wisdom and Eloquence. (both of these books are time consuming as
I have to read one paragraph, go back and read it again to make heads or tails of most of the information--but discussions with others and wisdom gained are worth it)
4. The gospel of John- read in one setting
5. Successful Adoption-A Guide for Christian Families

I have all of these, I read small chunks during nap time or when the kids are fully engaged in another activity and I can take my eyes off them for a paragraph at a time!!!

Therefore, since we have this great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we possess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Thoughts on this scripture from Shepherding a Child's Heart
"Dealing with disobedience is a wonderful opportunity to draw alongside our children. As you learn their internal struggles with sin, you have an inside track. You, like they, are a sinner. You can use your insight into the nature of temptation to help them understand their own battles. You can also encourage your children that the unending grace and mercy that you have found in Jesus Christ if offered to them as well. In Him there is righteousness that we cannot produce, forgiveness that we cannot merit, and power that we cannot generate. There is hope for needy
people in this one who became flesh and dwelt among us.

I have really been able to apply some of what Tripp says to Goober when disciplining him. It has helped him receive discipline without getting upset at me because he has heard me say several times that I submit to God's authority and therefore he must submit to my authority as it is from God. I pray that I can continue to speak truth to him and use discipline as a way to change his little heart and point him to God----Proverbs 13:18 " He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame"

Speaking of discipline.....
HA!!!

And here are the kids disciplining each other in the pool....if you don't like loud noises don't come to our house :)

No comments:

Post a Comment