Saturday, June 18, 2011

Changes

We have now been a family of four for 5 months now. Even though we had been taking classes, praying for and patiently waiting for our kiddos it still felt super overwhelming to get them only 5 days after hearing about them and 3 days after seeing their faces for the first time.
I remember sitting beside Adam with huge knots in my stomach waiting for the kids to arrive. We moved to the kitchen and stood against the cabinets hugging each other and taking in the last couple of minutes as a family of two while we waited for the kids to show up. It had been snowing and we weren't sure exactly what time they would show up. Then there was a knock on the door and a woman with tears in her eyes said to us " they are in the car, Goober just found out that he is moving here today and we both had a good cry on the way over here". I went straight to Goob's side of the car and found him crying. I have to admit that I had no clue as to how big or little a 6 year old would be but I thought to myself that he looked super tiny. He eventually let me lead him into the house but only after I told him that he had his own room and two cats. Adam went straight to Ribbit and they followed us in the house. (along with 2 AFS workers, our adoption coordinator and their attorney)

Since then our life has changed dramatically. I believe with every ounce in me that God hand chose Goober and Ribbit for us and us for them. I find myself thinking all the time that they sure are alot like us in ways that normally happen due to being biologically linked. I also have been catching myself saying " yeah, when we had Goob" or "when we had Ribbit" instead of " when we GOT them---to me "getting them" sounds like they came from the human society.

Some of the more noticeable differences in our lives have been:
1. We have no need for an alarm clock. our two year old believes in the motto " early to bed, early to rise"....she is up at 6 or 6:15 on the dot every morning.
2. Our eating habits and routine are very different. We still eat pretty healthy when we are at home but no more Yucatan Taco Stand or regular stops at the China Garden. Nope, when we eat out we go all in...McDonalds!!! We eat there at least once a week and if it doesn't have a playground then its not a true McDonalds. Our routine has changed too. If you get up and eat breakfast at 6:30 then you are hungry for lunch at 11. And if you eat lunch at 11 then you are starving for dinner by 5. This seems very early to others but not to us.
3. Mom's wardrobe. Yup, this has changed drastically. I no longer have time to come home and change straight into gym clothes or hang out clothes. I often find myself still in a skirt, blouse, wedges, full make-up and jewelry at 8:15 after putting Goob down. There just isn't enough time for mom to change and get comfy when kids need feeding, bathing and loving on. I have also switched to more "two year old appropriate" tops. No need to explain that.
4. Dad's homework schedule. Adam now has to wait until after the kids go to bed to get anything done on his homework. Unless he leaves the house the kids find him and turn any free time into play time with dad. He could go in the office but even there he can hear us and wants to come join in on the fun.
5. Conversations. Goob has sonar hearing. Adam and I can be whispering in the front of the car, with his DVD player going and our music blaring and he will still repeat a phrase he just heard us say and ask what it meant. We now speak in code and spell out many things. The spelling will soon go away though, that smart little boy knows too many words!!! We have told him several times to just be a kid and not worry about mom and dads conversations but alas, our conversations are just too interesting.
6. Pet Names. I am no longer Adam's "punkin", that name has gone to Ribbit..which is just fine with me :). He is still "honey" occasionally but more often than not we just call each either Mom and Dad. I think those are the most romantic names we could call each other anyways :)

Miss you Daddy...see you in 7 days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment