Friday, December 30, 2011

One for me, One for you

My grandfather is in the nursing home about 5 blocks from my parents home. I took Ribbit with me to spend some time with him on Wednesday morning and we had a blast. She brought along some goldfish and would feed one to herself and then feed one to my Papa. No, not put one in his hand, but in his mouth. One time she said he couldn't have anymore and when he made a sad face she gave him another. This completely dumbfounded me to see my grandfather behave this way with her...not that he isn't able to but the last couple of visits with him haven't convinved me of his overall health. She also sang him Jingle Bells and told him that he was her papa and that I was her mommy. Another man, whom I know from going to the same church all my life, also lives there now and brought out a teddy bear for her. He was interested to know that we live in Texas now and that my husband was/is attending seminary.
When we left Ribbit kissed papas hand and told him bye bye. I just know that our visit made his day....that and the fact that we brought him a snickers, that he downed with a coke :). I am going to take Goob with me tomorrow and I am hoping for a similar experience.

Even though Christmas is only a couple days behind us Adam and I have already changed our tune for next year. You see, all these presents are wonderful, very thoughtful and we feel very loved. We wanted our first Christmas with the kids to be memorable to to make up for lost time...to maybe give them the Christmas they never had. However, over the last couple of weeks I have been heavily convicted of the way I parent. I parent with words, not always actions. I want my kids to see me be the hands and feet of Jesus, not just preach about it. I want them to see me exhibit self control, not just yell at them about always wanting dessert. So, next year will not be about creating wish lists...instead we will create some homemade gifts and create memories of how to give. I think we will let them get 4 presents total.....one from us, one from santa (yes we do santa, geesh, who knew there were so many haters?), one from adam's parents and one from my parents. From there on out its all charity. I want them to be involved in making gifts for elderly and delivering them, maybe making some hospital calls, thanking firemen and policemen who are working that day, things of that nature. I want them to see that Christmas is not about them at all....but that we can use that time of year to minister, and probably be better received than any other time of year.
So once again, we are appeciative of the gifts we got this year, we will use them, play with them, cherish them but we are also excited to see what our kids will learn next year at this time.

I ask for your prayers tonight as well. We have a homestudy on January 13th of our new house.
Why?

We want to adopt again...its time....its obvious to both Adam and I. Its been on my heart for a while but I keep thinking " what if we mess up this good thing that we got?"...."what if we hurt Goob and Ribbit by bringing in more, more with baggage, more with behavior issues, learning disabilities, more with physical disabilities?, what if Goob and Rib don't think that there is enough love to go around?, WHAT IF WE ARE CRAZY?.
God always answer those questions with scripture.
James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
John 14:18
I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Psalm 10:14
But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted; you consider their grief and take it in hand. The victims commit themselves to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.

I'm pretty sure God wasn't kidding about any of this, so if I say I believe His word to be true, then I have to be willing to act on it.

Adam confirmed my thinking on one of our many drives all over this state in the last two weeks. He said " I think we can handle more"....coming from my husband, whose words are few, but are always well thought out and intentional, I practically lept for joy.....he's ready. He can't wait to get his hands on more babies.....right honey, right?

Here are more pictures of our holiday vacation

Tears from Lolly as she opens her angel boy apron...we get tears at least once a Christmas :)
 Ribbit stole Captains chocolate.
 Playing with Aunt Erika
 Showing Captain his angel boy picture.
 Papaw and CC reading their book that Goob wrote for them.
 Goob showing off his motorcycle gear from Papaw and CC....yes, my 7 year old is a harley freak already...thanks dad :)
 Ribbit and her Uncle Chris
 Giving my papa some christmas presents from the kids.
 Goob got a sling shot from Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment