Friday, July 24, 2015

Fitness Friday-Summer Recipes

One of my favorite things to do is rethink a high calorie dish into something super tasty but with at least 1/2 of the calories and hopefully with lots of protein!!!

I have also found that by allowing more healthy carbs into my diet I am able to take longer runs and run longer on consecutive days. Joining the running group has allowed me to reduce my mile time by even more but has also made me a hungry beast and sometimes carbs are honestly all that keeps my stomach from constantly growling. I am sure that to everyone else in the world it looks like I am constantly eating..and that is true ..but its 150-250 calories every 2 hours!!

One of my running buddies Lindsey has this thing for carrot cake...and who can blame her??? So I made it my mission to make her a low calorie carrot cake muffin.
Here are the ingredients:

Carrot Cake Muffins:
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tbsp. coconut flour (I included this give the cupcakes a denser texture)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup golden raisins
6 tbsp. egg whites
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 musselmans snack size cinnamon applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup yogurt chips..found in the Sprouts bulk area--you could probably substitute white chocolate chips too but I liked that these were mini and DELISH!!
LOTS OF CINNAMON
1 package of instant oatmeal-plain
1/4 cup water




Like all professional chefs do I added everything to one big ole bowl and stirred it all together. I then sprayed my tin, put the oven at 350 and cooked them for 19 minutes..weird time I know but I was also cleaning my kitchen since we are having guests over for dinner tonight, refereeing a Wii argument between my boys and getting ready for Zumba with my little diva...19  minutes was perfect for some caramelization on the bottom of the muffins.

THESE ARE SOOO STINKIN GOOD!!! I  ate two when I got home from Zumba and called it lunch. Even my "non cake loving" husband ate one and said "these taste like carrot cake". SCORE!!!



Another favorite meal (115-140 cals (if you leave off cheese its less)) of mine has been mushroom caps as substitutes for hamburger buns!! AND, I can get two of these babies for .99 cents at....you guessed it, the 99 cent store right up the road!!!!


I heat these up a little in a pan with some balsamic vinaigrette, flipping them so that both sides get a little seared. (each cap is around 25-30 cals)

Then I make my "patty" with egg whites and spinach. I have found the best way to make a patty is to put my spinach in a microwaveable bowl and then pour my egg whites over it. I nuke it for 1 to 2 minutes and then it slides right out in a patty shape. (57 cals for 6 tbsp of egg whites and 1 cup of spinach)

I put a wedge of Spicy Pepperjack laughing cow cheese in my mushroom cap and let it melt while cooking the egg white patty. (35 cals)

I topped it all with Pineapple Pico. The mushroom cap is so hearty that this normally fuels me for 3-4 hours. (28 cals for 2 tbsp)

Pineapple Pico Ingredients:
cubed pineapple, cubed tomatoes, cubed jalepeno, cubed onions, cubed red peppers and cilantro

I want to add cucumber to my Pico next time!!!



What are your favorite recipe remakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment