Wednesday, July 8, 2015

99 Calorie Cherry/Pineapple/Banana Muffins

As I have mentioned before I am a calorie counter, logging everything that I eat into MyFitnessPal App daily...I'm afraid it annoys some people :). However, I found that during the process of losing weight and now keeping it off accountability is the key and this app tells me how much of my nutrition is going to carbs, protein and fats so I can tweak as need be.

I'm one of those documentation people, check those boxes people, make a list people so the app works perfectly for me....for others its a burden.

With saying all that if I am going to give 99 calories over to a snack I want it to be a good one!!! And I don't want it to be a minuscule snack either, I want a big honking serving :). Muffins are great for that, as they come in single servings and who doesn't like a warm hot muffin?

These muffins came out of a desire to use some fruit that was about to be overripe and a need for some carbs after several weeks of long runs and a morning of heavy weightlifting!!

ENJOY!!



Ingredients

3/4 cup cherries diced ( I use Washington Red)
1/2 cup diced pineapple
2 soft bananas (smashed between my fingers :))
1 snack size Musselman applesauce ( I buy these to stick in my kiddos lunches but they are so handy for baking. I use applesauce in place of all oil and butter in all of my baking. Use the cinnamon flavor if you have that on hand too).
2 egg whites
1/4 cup regular flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (you could use all whole wheat flour or some coconut flour but then I would add another egg white or two since it needs more liquid)
1 tbsp vanilla (my kids beg to smell our vanilla everytime I use it. I go on and on about how we got it in Cozumel on our last Disney cruise and they can re-tell the story now :)
3 shakes of cinnamon
1 shake of baking powder
1 shake of baking soda
1/4 cup wide slice coconut ( I buy this in bulk from Sprouts...1/4 cup is 70 cals)
1/2 cup rolled oats


Since I have no culinary background or desire to make a recipe take any longer than need be to make I throw everything in a bowl at once. I use a fork to break up the banana a little more and when everything looks thoroughly mixed I declare it OVEN READY!

All of the fruit in the bowl...finger smashed the banana.

It is a very wet batter!! Appetizing picture eh?

Heat your oven to 350, spray your muffin tins and put them in for 25-30 minutes.
This recipe makes 10 muffins for 99 calories each.

I have big plans for this muffin. So far I have eaten it with vanilla yogurt on top, salted caramel frozen yogurt on top (Arctic Zone) and as my pre-run snack at 4:39 in the morning. My children gobbled them up for breakfast and LOVE the bigger chunks of banana in them. Baby Boy even went so far as calling them BROWNIES....Brownies for breakfast?.. sign me up!!
4:39 this morning..Yes it is that dark when I leave to run and that dark when I finish running every morning..but oh man the weather is cool and the mosquitoes aren't out yet...and the best part is all of my running buddies!!!!

I want to try adding the following ingredients. The calorie count per muffin is in parenthesis.

Cheerios  (109 cals per muffin)
Dark Chocolate pieces (113 per muffin)
Agave 2 tbsp (104 per muffin)
Golden Raisins 1/4 cup (111 per muffin)
Craisins 1/4 cup (109 per muffin)
Walnuts 4 tbsp (119 per muffin)

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment