Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!

I had full intentions of taking our kiddos to the Veterans Cemetery close by for the Memorial Day Service today but since its raining for the 100th day in a row we didn't make it. We are now in hour 4 of a tornado watch followed by 3 hours of more flash flood warnings.  We have spent some time in our hallway at night listening to tornado sirens and have completely exhausted our rainy day activities list.....I have heard more than 5 people say "too many Texans prayed for rain".

I'm not sure how to get across the appreciation we should have for our veterans besides passing down stories that I have heard from my parents and their parents about the sacrifices made for our freedom. Both my mom and dad lived all over the world, having their dads stationed here and there, sometimes going long stints of time living apart from their dads. My Uncle Paul also served various tours and I saw firsthand some of the sacrifices he made as he is only 12 years my senior.

I want my kids to know that my Papa's, both of them gave of themselves, sacrifically in non-peaceful times.

I want my kids to know that my Nana's, both of them went long periods of time as single moms raising 3 kids each..internationally and domestically.

I want my kids to know that their CC and Papa (my parents) didnt' always know where there was Daddy was or if he was even alive.

I want my kids to hear the stories that I have heard....
"Sometimes my dad had to leave in the middle of the night and we didn't know where he was going"
"My dad wasn't around for the birth of my sister, in fact she met him when she was 9 months old"
"I never went to the same school for more than 3 years in a row".
" We were called every name in the book by the Japs"
"My high school diploma was mailed to me"
"I only saw my grandparents every other year"

I also want my kids to know some of the great stories that my parents have from growing up abroad...
" They thought my mom was beautiful and would slap her butt"
"We were asked to be in soap operas and my mom was a model"
"I love traditional yakisoba, like what we had in Japan"
"We would sneak out and go to Octoberfest in Germany"
"We could go see a movie for a nickel on base"
"We would drive up into the mountains for picnics"

My dad's dad, Papa D who died last November. The blue angels flew over at his funeral and tapps was played..I have never felt more proud of him and his service to our country.
Papa D, my Aunt Robin and my little guy about 3 years ago.
This is the last picture I have of my Nana C (far left), this was at my graduation dinner at church and she died about a month after that.

My Papa D loved getting sweet kisses from Ribbit.

Same birthday party for Ribbit, obviously having a sugar meltdown...this is my Papa C, mom's dad.


I love this picture of my mom's family when they were younger, living abroad while my Papa C was serving. You can see the fake fireplace my beautiful Nana built so that Santa could visit :). My mom is the in the glasses :).
Papa C and Big Man eating lollipops at one of Big Man's birthday parties!
My Uncle Paul, who we love dearly and who served tours in the Middle East. He is now a grandfather himself and you can see here how great he is to my children. He is also the uncle who takes me hunting, takes my kids hunting, opens up his home at any time and who you can count on to make you laugh!!
I didn't want to leave out Adam's precious Papa Mashburn. I am sure he could tell you stories about his families service to our country in greater detail than I could but here he is loving on Baby Boy!

Finally, a picture of my youngest cousin paying tribute to veterans through this reenactment.



                                                 THANK YOU VETERANS!!!!

             John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends"

No comments:

Post a Comment