Thursday, March 31, 2011

Venting

I figured that venting on my blog is probably okay since people have the option of reading it or not..and it always helps to put your thoughts down into words.
First, we are just overwhelmed with meetings and paperwork. We have a meeting with our therapist tomorrow, our attorney Friday and a court hearing on Monday. Of course all of these lead us one step closer to finalizing the adoption but they sure do throw a wrench into an already full 2 kiddo, 2 job, classwork, volleyball coach schedule. The meetings make me anxious before, during and after as I feel like we are being watched (well we are) and that we are always behind on paperwork or will forget to cross one I or dot one T.
Second, my brain isn't working right at all. I switched two presents today and gave a baby shower gift to a teacher and a teacher appreciation gift to a pregnant lady :). I also threw away good food as I was walking towards the fridge to put it in. I also left my volleyballs in the garage for volleyball practice-a first!!!
Third, I need to vent on behalf of other adoptive parents as well. A comment was made to us that has just been on my mind for almost three weeks now. I am hoping that it was made out of ignorance and not to hurt us. During a conversation, someone told us that we will not be "a real mom and dad until August". I don't know how anyone can honestly say that to us right now. We are loving these kids, protecting them, providing for them, advocating for them and fighting for them just like any other mom or dad would. The only thing that will change in August is the fact that we can legally claim them and that their last names change. Nothing else in our hearts or minds will change. It's not like an engagement where two people should not be acting as spouses until the wedding day. We are already acting like parents. It's also not like waiting to get your driver's license, where you can't legally drive until that day. We are already legally stepping in for these kids, there is no practice run. It's a situation where you go ahead and give it your all and wait for the court system to catch up and recognize what you have already decided in your heart. Okay done with that....just been replaying that comment in my mind over and over.
Fourth, we need a new camera :). Ours is just not keeping up with our great kids!!!! I think Adam is already looking into that one though....love my hubby.
Sorry if these post wasn't entertaining or heartwarming....just me being grumpy :). I will make it up to you by posting the one and only HAPPY FEET INSPIRED DANCE CONTEST VIDEO!!


3 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but I feel like you might get a lot of those comments. One to be ready for is, "When are you going to have some of your own?". I hate that question! These kiddos ARE your own! If they aren't yours, then whose are they?! To me, and so many others, you are my heroes. I love how much you have LOVED these kids from Day 1. And you know what? God knew you would be the "real mom and dad" to them before they were even born. You are part of a BIG story that goes beyond you two and even your kids. Praying for you friend and am excited that your story is inspiring others in the adoption journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica, all of your comments are exactly what I need to hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the exhaustion of "Momhood." It's so worth it even if it does use up lots of our non-expendable brain cells.

    Before you invest in a fancy camera, think phone. I don't know what kind of cell phones you have, but Dale just got a new Droid (we've been smart phone junkies for a while now). The camera on his phone is better than any camera we have bought...and it's paid for along with the phone and it's always with you. It even takes HD video for the pantless dance contests.

    ReplyDelete