Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Indulgences-Romans 1 & 2

The Lord is so gracious to speak to me in a thorough, no sugar added, detailed way.
I woke up this past Monday an hour later than I normally do and went into instant panic mode. Not only was I supposed to meet two other friends to work out (and I generally lead it) but it meant that my whole day was thrown off. I panicked and raced to the bathroom where I could make a game plan in the light. (an hour later is 5:45 for me and there is still no sign of life in our home).
God quickly calmed me down and invited me to spend some time in His word. In fact, I became hungry for it and set out to find my Adam's archaeological bible since mine was at school. I found it and prayed that God would speak to me about how to talk to one of my family members. Sister is about to get real transparent up in here, in fact, I think said family member is a reader of this blog so here goes.
You see this family member and I have completely different views on lifestyle choices. However, this member is literally like a brother to me, in more ways than I care to expound. As much as I love them, its hard to not pass judgment and become self righteous about my stance.
What happened next is quite comical but I couldn't find the book of Hebrews. Y'ALL, think about it, the BIBLE teacher couldn't find the book of Hebrews. I was about drop my head in shame and turn to the front index when God whispered to me "Romans".



BAM.....there it was.....I could have spent all morning in Romans chapters 1-2. God spoke to me in a very thorough, no sugar added, detailed way. When I would stop and think "well, then what should my response be?"...I would keep reading and the answer was provided.

It was like a big warm hug and a small swift kick in the rear all at one time :). Yup, the Lord knows me.
He knew that I would need to read the words of Paul...
 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,[d] that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.
I am obligated. I don't get to choose who is offered salvation or how they live it out. I asked Christ to be my King and that means that I am loyal to his teachings whether or not I like them...or even more convicting whether or not I like the people he has called me to LOVE.
He knew that my cold, stubborn heart needed to be softened with these words...

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Ouch, DO I SHOW CONTEMPT?...Do I take advantage of?...Do I ignore?....Do I underestimate?...OUCH. 

I thought it through and God reminded me that my sin is simply hidden better than others. I am better at keeping it personal, covering it with a thick layer of hypocritical language, soft white lies and closed doors.  It's like the day that I finally had to tell Goober how bad a liar he was and he got made at my "insult". I am a sinner, a bad person in need of saving and even worse I have become great at covering up my sin. There it is, no sugar added.
What is the Lord specifically teaching you?

No comments:

Post a Comment