Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The next chapter...

If I had to map out a timeline of our lives it would go something like this.

Meet 2005, Date 2006, Marry 2007, Kinzie grad school 07-09, Israel 09, Adam grad school 09-??, and now Adoption!!!!

When Adam and I started dating I made sure that he was "okay" towards the thought of adoption. I have always ( ask my mother) leaned towards taking orphans into my family rather than having them biologically. I am not against having my own kids, its just that I see a very real need for those children growing up without any consistent family.

Adam and I had agreed that children would happen (adoptive or biological) after we both got our degrees for many reasons...but all of them selfish. However, God has really been speaking to us lately about extending our family. We are not sure how this will look. We originally thought it would be great to have an older school age child and that way I could still work. We also thought it would be great if it was a boy ( girls are harder to raise I hear and we wanted to start off drama free :)). However, when you submit to God you can't obey with exceptions. Therefore, we are going to let him lead us to one or two or three children at whatever age. We would love to adopt interracially as well. I absolutely know that we are commanded to see past race as children of God. Weren't we all adopted into his family at our salvation anyways? He tells us that every tribe and tongue will be present in Heaven, so why not act as a family here on earth?

I have talked to others who say or have been taught that although scripture does not speak negatively towards interracial families, it may not be wise. The way I look at it is would you rather the child wait out a family of thier own race ( which may or may not happen) or would you rather that child enter into a family now who is ready to love him and show him Christ? In fact, I think we are scripturally commanded to adopt orphans of other races. In Exodus 22 we see that God commands the Israelites to take care of the widows and orphans of Egyptians.

Verse 22-Do not oppress foreigners in any way. Remember, you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. Do not exploit widows or orphans.

Think about it this way. We, as christians, do not at all times reflect the image of Christ, and yet Christ has still adopted us and we are now full heirs with Christ.

Romans 8:14 because those who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God.

Therefore, whose to say that our family has to "reflect" our physical likeness?It is our identity as a Christian that we were "adopted" into the family of Christ.
Please pray for us as we start attending orientations and filling out the piles or paperwork. We are praying for our child even now as they are in foster care or another situation that Christ would be shown to them. We are also looking at finances and how we can afford to add children to our family. Once again Christ has promised us that we are His and therefore our money is His to handle. We aren't quite sure how this will all play out and look in the end but we are excited to start the next chapter of our lives.

You may also ask "how does this relate to the Israel-blog?". Well Israel is now going to be a regular part of our lives as Adam (and hopefully I ) go back every year to dig. Adoption absolutely trumps our time in Israel but also affects how we will deal with these trips from here on out. Plus, its my blog and I'll write about it if I want to!! :)

1 comment:

  1. We will be praying for you & I'm so excited about this chapter of your lives!!!!

    ReplyDelete